The villa, called "Villa Gaia" in the second half of 1400 for the festivities that took place there, is one
of the most ancient buildings which have risen in Lombardy with the features of a house.
The house is organized around three quadrangular courtyards, one next to the other, different in shape and size. The House overlooks the Naviglio, while the two long sides face the garden. The ancient origin and the numerous passages of ownership have favoured lots of transformations.
The house rises on those that were the walls of the ancient castle, or fortified village of Robecco, of medieval origin, of which today there is no longer any trace but that presumably was where villa Gromo of Ternengo is currently located.
The first records date back to the 8th June 1448 when Vitaliano Borromeo bought from the Council of “Novecento” some goods in Robecco including a manor house. The construction, which will become then Gaia House, was then part of some assets confiscated to to Pietrasanta, because of his bad conduct in managing the office of the Ducal Treasury.
The property in the course of the nineteenth century passed to the Confalonieri and we should remember in particular Federico Confalonieri, “Carbonaro”conspirator that had his private study in this house. Currently the house is owned by the family Gandini.
The villa is one of the most precocious and significant examples of extra-urban residence in Milan territory, on the model of the palaces of the first half of the sixteenth century according to which the main core draws on the fortified architecture and is characterized by the development of the environments around a porticoed court on columns with windows on the upper floor in correspondence of the individual bays.
The elements of greatest charm of the house are surely the garden with American oak trees, the jetty that overlooks the Naviglio Grande and especially the courtyard of representation, decorated with grotesque figures and plants and animals recalling exotic places.
The front with access on the road is still as it was in the sixteenth century, with the great portal in rusticated ashlar, adorned by the coat of arms of the Visconti-Borromeo, with traces of painted decorations in imitation of rustication and with shelves painted with warrior trophies.
Mobirise web page software - More here